|Assoc. Prof.||Wataru Satake|
Our Department is promoting research programs to elucidate the pathophysiological mechanisms of neurological diseases including neurodegenerative diseases, immune-mediated diseases and neuromuscular diseases, and to establish therapeutic approaches for these diseases. We are also providing excellent programs to train of neurologists to meet human society-imposed needs.
Global Center of Education and Research for Chemical Biology of the Diseases
- Molecular Genetics (identification of diseases, genes and development of therapeutic approaches)
- Molecular pathophysiology of neurological diseases (based on single cell analysis)
- Immune-mediated diseases (autoantibodies, glycoconjugates)
- Neurophysiology and cognitive neuroscience (magnetic stimulation, NIRS, MEG, PET, fMRI)
- Neuropathology of neuromuscular diseases (pathological studies on biopsy and autopsy materials)
- Multicenter-based clinical research
- Development of new therapeutics
- Satake W, et al. Genome-wide association study identifies common variants at four loci as genetic risk factors for Parkinson's disease. Nature Genet. 41:1303-1307, 2009.
- Taniguchi-Ikeda M, et al. Pathogenic exon-trapping by SVA retrotransposon and rescue in Fukuyama muscular dystrophy. Nature 478:127-131, 2011.
- Mitsui J et al. Mutations of COQ2 in familial and sporadic multiple system atrophy. New Engl. J. Med. 369:233-44, 2013.
- Iwata A, et al. Altered CpG methylation in sporadic Alzheimer’s disease is associated with APP and MAPT dysregulation. Hum Mol Genet 23: 648-656, 2014.
- Hamada M, et al. Two Distinct Interneuron Circuits in Human Motor Cortex Are Linked to Different Subsets of Physiological and Behavioral Plasticity. J Neurosci 34: 12837-12849, 2014.
- Kanagawa M, et al. Identification of a Post-translational Modification with Ribitol-Phosphate and Its Defect in Muscular Dystrophy. Cell Reports 14:2209-2223, 2016.
- Mano T et al. Neuron-specific methylome analysis reveals epigenetic regulation and tau-related dysfunction of BRCA1 in Alzheimer's disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 114;E9645-E9654, 2017.
- Ishiura H, et al. Expansions of intronic TTTCA and TTTTA repeats in benign adult familial myoclonic epilepsy. Nat Genet 50:581-590, 2018.
- Ishiura H, et al. Noncoding CGG repeat expansions in neuronal intranuclear inclusion disease, oculopharyngodistal myopathy and an overlapping disease. Nat Genet 51:1222-1232, 2019.
- Matsukawa T, et al. Clinical efficacy of hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for adult adrenoleukodystrophy. Brain Communications 2020 2(1):fcz048.
- Naito T, et al. A deep learning method for HLA imputation and trans-ethnic MHC fine-mapping of type 1 diabetes. Nat Commun 12:1639, 2021.
- Tokuoka H, et al. CDP-ribitol prodrug treatment ameliorates ISPD-deficient muscular dystrophy mouse model. Nat Commun. 13:1847, 2022.
- Sekiya H, et al. Discrepancy between distribution of alpha-synuclein oligomers and Lewy-related pathology in Parkinson's disease. Acta Neuropathol Commun. 10:133. 2022.